Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Brody James

Yes, I am a hot mess and NO, I have not 100% committed to naming our son Brody James (although it is the name we currently call him).  It all started way back when we got our first little furry love, Jemma (aka Bailey).  We drove out to the country on Valentine's weekend to pick her out.  "Her" being Bailey-the name we had picked out for our precious little pup we would bring home with us.  We saw Bailey online and were pretty sure that she would be the dog for us. How could she not be!?  She was the cutest dog I ever laid eyes on!   BUT if you've ever tried or actually been successful at picking out a puppy, you'll understand that it is VERY hard.  They are all so stinkin' cute and precious.  There Greg and I stood with SO many little puppies running around with their big eyes and wrinkled skin-the torture of picking out one.  The puppy we had our eye on kept coming up and trying to get Greg's shoelaces and was wanting to play with him.  None of the other puppies seemed to be too concerned that we were there, so we took the plunge and signed the papers.  I always say that in reality she picked us and not the other way around.  Anyway, on our way home, Greg and I talked about Bailey our precious new dog and all of a sudden I just couldn't take it anymore!  Bailey was the name I had LOVED and picked out and thought would make a perfect dog name.  It's cute without being too "dog-like" like Rover.  I come from a family of naming pets "actual" names and not "pet" names like fluffy.  Hence, my furry nieces are named Halle, Mia and Lucy.  Anyway, so here I am practically yelling at Greg that Bailey ISN'T in fact a Bailey, but a Jemma.  Greg (my practical husband) informed me that Jemma isn't actually a name and that we could not possibly name our new dog Jemma for that very reason.  I told him that my cousin's husband has a cousin named Jimma (did you follow that?).  She is of no relation to me, so I figured it was a-okay to name a dog the same name and  besides I had always thought that it was a really cute name.  To my surprise a few minutes later Greg concurred that she was in fact a Jemma (the spelling we decided on although there was also Gemma as a possibility because it really is a real name).  So, I tell you this long, draw out story to say that if I felt THIS strongly about a dog (who I do love and adore) how much more will I care about a real human name?  The name of my first child in the whole wide world?  The name that he will have to live with his WHOLE life?  A LOT!  Greg is in love with the name Brody (and would say he is 110% committed to it) and I really do like it for so many reasons (in no particular order):
  • It is a name that both Greg and I like
  • It is cool (in my opinion) without being popular
  • It works for both a baby and a grown adult
  • It goes well with our last name
  • It has a "y" which is an added plus-think it's cool since Greg(ory) and I both do too
For whatever reason (and in spite of all these reasons) I JUST can NOT fully commit to the name without seeing him.  What if I have a Bailey-Jemma repeat?  And again, I remind you that was in the case of naming a DOG and not a human being and without being under the influence of any drug and fully rested (much unlike I will be after labor). 

  So, until we decide for sure here is a picture of Brody from our twenty week appointment.  Whatever his name will be...he's pretty stinkin' cute, don't you think?
 

6 comments:

  1. Aw, yes, he is DEFINITELY very stinkin' cute!!! But with you and Greg as his parents, how could he not be?! Love your blog friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Love your blog! :) This whole post made me laugh! It really is SUCH a big responsibility. Whatever his name ends up being will be perfect! I love his sweet profile!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, LOVE that you are blogging now! Second, I of course love Brody. Third, I love his precious little picture! I don't think I have seen one yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, how I love this child. A child prayed for, hoped for and longed for. A child who is already known by name by his heavenly father. Rest assured no matter what name is placed on his birth certificate, he will be so blessed to have the most wonderful parents. Love this post Em; can't wait to see his sweet little face! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha you have me laughing out loud at work. I am going to love reading your blog because it is like talking to you. :) That little nugget is pretty stinkin precious and he is loved so much already. I think Greg might hurt you if you try to pull a name switch again though after being 110% in love with Brody! :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely wait until you see the boy before naming him---and let's not forget that even though they identified the sex as a male via the scan, mistakes do happen. . .

    We knew a couple here in Chicago who thought they were having a girl so decorated and bought everything in pink, only to have a little boy pop out on delivery day! So best you keep your options open and have a girl's name ready just in case!

    Jonathan

    PS--somehow my Google Account is linked to our website account, hence the "The Sports Scientists" name on the post. . .can't figure out right now how to fix it!

    ReplyDelete